For five decades, the Environmental Law Institute (ELI) has played a pivotal role in shaping the fields of environmental law, policy, and management, both domestically and internationally.
ELI is now hiring a Vice President of Development to be a strategic leader within the organization, driving efforts to raise the funds that support realization of the Institute’s goals and objectives. Working with their team, they will design and implement strategies focused on individual giving, our membership program, grants and contracts, and our annual award dinner. Partnering closely with the President, other staff leadership, and the Board of Directors, they will sustain and grow total and unrestricted revenue to support ELI’s range of activities.
- Strategy & Leadership:
- Achieving the Institute’s revenue goals through the creation and implementation of comprehensive development strategies that align with the Institute’s goals and objectives
- Guide, supervise, and inspire the development and membership teams, and work collaboratively with other teams
- As a member of the senior leadership team, actively participate in organizational strategic planning and management
- Manage the Board of Directors’ Development Committee, providing regular progress reports on activities and managing volunteer efforts
- Resource Development:
- Drive and grow individual giving programs focused on major gifts, annual gifts, planned giving, and giving societies
- Prospect, secure, and cultivate donors and members, guiding them through an effective and fulfilling engagement journey
- Oversee ELI’s membership program, including ELI’s annual award dinner
- Support cultivation, solicitation, and management of foundation and governmental relationships and grants
- Advise the President and staff leadership on philanthropic activities and donor relationships
- Fundraising Operations:
- Ensure effective information tracking mechanisms are in place, oversee data analysis, and ensure internal data systems are working effectively
- Supervise and regularly report on departmental budget, recommending changes as necessary
- Ensure understanding of and compliance with all relevant policies, fiscal standards, and regulatory requirements
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in development fields
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university preferred
- Track record of setting and achieving robust development goals on a sustained basis
- Ability to establish and execute a strategic plan within and across departments
- Demonstrated experience building and managing effective teams
- Exceptional at conveying clear, consistent, and compelling messaging
- Excellent interpersonal skills, enabling professional interactions at all organizational levels
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Discretion and integrity in handling confidential information
- Position is based in Washington, DC and involves days worked in the office
- Desire to make the world a better place
The Environmental Law Institute (ELI) is an environmental law, science, and policy center that makes law work for people, places, and the planet. We envision a healthy environment, prosperous economies, and vibrant communities founded on the rule of law. Our mission is to foster innovative, just, and practical law and policy solutions to enable environmental and social progress across borders and sectors.
Together, ELI’s staff aims to:
- Build the skills and capacity of tomorrow’s leaders and institutions
- Research and analyze complex and pressing environmental challenges
- Promote and disseminate the best thinking through print and electronic media
- Work with partners to develop and implement laws, policies, and other means to protect the environment and society
- Convene people with diverse perspectives to build understanding through robust dialogue
For more information on ELI’s programs, visit https://www.eli.org/programs.
The annual salary for this position starts at $150,000 and is commensurate with experience. ELI’s total compensation includes excellent benefits including:
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Employer-paid life insurance & disability insurance
- Long Term Care insurance
- Pre-tax transportation benefit
- Fitness Incentive
- 403(b) Retirement Savings Account with employer match
- Paid time off
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, submit an application package via ELI's online application system at https://www.eli.org/employment. Note that your submission must contain the following uploaded documents (Word or PDF format), as follows:
- Cover letter
- List of 3 references
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. You must use ELI’s online application system; ELI cannot accept applications submitted by email, USPS or other shipping service, or hand delivery.
Please note that to ensure the health and safety of the ELI workforce, any offer of employment from ELI is contingent on candidates providing proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. ELI management will consider requests for religious or medical exceptions, consistent with applicable law.
ELI is an equal opportunity employer firmly committed to achieving an inclusive, diverse workforce that values every individual. We firmly believe that hiring individuals with varying perspectives and backgrounds contributes to our success as an organization, and we strive to create an environment that fosters inclusiveness. As such, minority candidates and candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.